Thursday, August 18, 2005

A Little Meteorology and a Little Confession.


clouds
Originally uploaded by shalberg.
I took this picture while waiting for Mike to pick up his tux from Men's Warehouse. I sometimes make fun of Mike for being a geek, but deep down, I know I am a much bigger geek then he is. I just hide it a little better. Because, when I saw these clouds, I got really excited. They are Cumulonimbus Mammatus clouds, and they are pretty rare, and I HAD MY CAMERA! What luck. They mean conditions are right for some pretty nasty weather (wind squalls, hail, tornados, heavy precipitation). They don't mean a tornado is actually forming, but they are one of the things tornado spotters look for.

Now you all know a little bit more about the weather, and I have to go put some more tape on my glasses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those clouds are way cool! I can see why you wanted to be safely at home after you saw them though.

jimhalberg said...

We saw those clouds when we arrived too! Crazy looking. I think Thomas (Fritsch) took a camera phone picture.