Sunday, July 31, 2005

Trauma, wedding and camping

I am finished with my first month of fourth year (trauma surgery)! It was amazing. Looking back I would always regret not doing trauma. I never knew there was so much violence in Milwaukee. Each night I was on there were constant victims from nine at night until at least five in the morning. It really opens your eyes when an 18 year old comes in five minutes from death and the team saves him. My last night was a grand finale. I think we had seven shooting victims and five car crashes. Others were more unusual, like one girl that was car surfing and fell under the car only to be dragged for twenty feet! I thought she had a serious brain injury because she kept repeating the same sentences, but after I stitched her head laceration we took her for head scans and thankfully they were negative. In the morning I saw her and she was speaking appropriately, the doctors even thought she would go home within the week!

It is crazy reading Sheela's last post about this month being long because it was my fastest month yet. I sometimes forget how hard it must be for her to be home while I am off in the trenches. I think that's why weekends like this are so precious. We went camping and just hung out for a few days. The time away from everything was really nice, especially because there are no distractions that can pull me away. It is a real treat when I can get up with Claire and play while Sheela sleeps in. Sheela deserves the rest and Claire and I always enjoy the time alone.

Another get away is coming up soon. Jim and Monica are getting married and I can't wait. They are so happy together! It just can't come soon enough.

Mike

No comments: