Friday, July 29, 2005

The Last Day of Trauma!

Today is the last day Mike is on Trauma Surgery. Hoo-Ray!!! He was on-call last night, so he'll be home later today, but this is the last shift! I was thinking about the month this morning. So far, when I look back, I can always honestly say that the month went quickly and it wasn't that bad. Not this month! It was so long. It probably didn't help that he chose to do the rotation during the summer, which is always busier than winter, and that he happened to do it during Summerfest, which only added to the number of traumas they saw. But for as long as I thought the month was, I know Mike will not agree. The real struggle for me was the time commitment involved. If Mike had hated going in, it would have been a completely different story, so it was wonderful that he enjoyed it. But I'm so thankful this isn't what he wants to do with his life.

Today we leave to go camping again. Friends of ours (James and Elissa Kinsella) have been camping all week, so we'll join them today. We'll be at J.W. Wells State Park in Michigan. Its right between Menominee and Escanaba, and my favorite campground. My family went camping a lot when I was growing up, and we probably went to Wells more times than anywhere else. One time, my mom and I went on a Guided Nature Walk with a park ranger. It was at night and in the woods, and I remember being pretty uneasy about walking around the woods in the dark. At one point someone in the group walked into a spiders web and had the expected reaction of saying "Ew, spider web" and trying to brush it off. The guide said something like "You walked into a spider web?? How lucky! The webs are so good for your skin, you should rub them in." We've joked about it ever since. But anyway, we bought a tent that has THREE rooms. Small, medium and large. Its pretty fancy. That way Claire will be able to have her own room. Its actually really nice, you can set up however many of the tents you want either separately or linked together by a little tunnel. I'm really looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Leslie Fedorchuk said...

I love reading your blog, guys....can't always comment - but always enjoy it. I love the campground you are going to as well. It is on the way to the fedorchuk cabin - and so I pass it a couple times a year and always stop to walk there.

Claire's purse is a favorite of mine as well. Great idea for a childrens book Sheila...seriously. Let's talk about this sometime. It would be fun to work on together.

Hope to see you guys soon. I am actually completely done at school for a year!! Yippeeeeeee.