Thursday, January 12, 2006

mooching.

Claire and I have been visiting my parents for the week. Mike is doing his intense study for the boards routine, so Claire and I packed our bags and made our escape. We've actually been pretty busy. I submitted our applications for Brazilian visas, just in time I'm sure. Actually, we have yet to find out if they were submitted in time, but I got 'em in as soon as possible, so there really isn't much more I could do. The Brazilian Consulate "does not expedite tourist visas". So whatever. It took so long. They (the Brazilian Consulate) really wants to know a lot about your trip. Ana even had to write a letter stating how she knows us, what our purpose of visiting is, and a day-by-day itinerary. And then she had to have it notarized before she faxed to me. It seemed like every time I was ready to submit, they came up with one more thing for me to track down. But its finished.

I started and finished a blanket in record time. I used a blanket my cousin made, and my mom ended up with at the Annual VanLaanen Christmas Party, as a guide. I actually really liked the one my cousin made, and stole it from my mom. But I really didn't mean to steal it, I just put it out with all of our other stuff when leaving, intending my mom to see it and then it would be a joke. But the next thing I knew, we were home and so was the blanket. My mom did get it back, so I had to make one for myself. I used really soft flannel, and it ended up being the perfect size for Claire, or for your lap, but usually Claire has it. And with the blanket finished, I started knitting some socks for my mom. She bought some yarn for me, so I could make her a pair. I'm working them from the toe to the cuff, opposite of what I've done in the past, so I can make the leg as long as possible and not worry about running out of yarn before the foot is done. I like it, its fun to mix things up, and the yarn is great too.

No comments: