Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sometimes the little things make all the difference.

Claire is sick with some kind of stomach bug, and like other times when she's been sick, I'm so thankful to have a washer and dryer in the basement. And I'm glad I didn't throw away all of the old sheets and towels last time I organized the closet.

Claire is a really sweet sick person, as far as moods go. She'll quietly go through a list of questions about her symptoms as she is falling asleep, and then assures me that "Its not your fault I'm sick, Mom. I just got some bad germs." She almost always appears more calm than I feel inside, which is comforting to me, though I know it should be the other way around. She has always been a very healthy kid, so even at four years old, I'm just not used to her being sick. So I do what I can, which doesn't feel like much. A back rub, a song, a cool pillow and some clean-up is just about all that is required. But she appreciates it. As she snuggles down under the covers, she'll reach a warm hand up to rub my cheek and say "Thanks Mom", and I feel like I should call my mom and thank her for doing the same for me. But I'm guessing she would appreciate it more if I called at a time other than 12:30am.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

Feel better, Claire!

Jeanne said...

I see we will have to get her a new hat with a B on it. (Go Brewers)

Anonymous said...

Sweetie - you also weren't sick much at all. An occasional cold, a flu bug once in a great while. And you were as sweet and appreciative as could be. I loved tucking you in on the couch with warm blankies and pillows, the remote,and of course THE BELL to ring incase you needed me to come to you right away! You are truly the love of my life. AND YOU CALL ME WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT. I REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT TIME IT IS!!! (Mom)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet mom Claire has and what a sweet mom Sheila has.
t.mom.