Thursday, November 09, 2006

the portland headlight

Today we had a weather alert for "over-splashing and flooding at high tide". Tides right now are higher and lower than usual because of "astronomical effects", and the ocean was rough by coincidence. The result was 9-12 foot waves crashing onto the shore. And on a beautiful day like today, I thought it would be a great idea to visit the Portland Headlight at high tide this afternoon and check it out.















































It was amazing. The waves pounded the rocks and made everything hazy and soft looking, as you can see in the second and third pictures. It was beautiful, and definitely not like any other time I've been to the Headlight.

6 comments:

Eric said...

Wow. Those are some amazing photos. That water really doesn't look inviting.

Anonymous said...

Have you submitted these for "Earth Science Picture of the Day"? They make me feel as if I am there seeing what you are seeing.

Sheila said...

I guess I could submit them for pictures of the 'super tide'. I wish there was audio to go with it, the sound of it all was amazing too.

jimhalberg said...

Those pictures are Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Sheila, you should pursue your photography talents.

-Jim

Sheila said...

I did submit them for Earth Science Picture of the Day! They are going to put it up sometime in January. I'll let you know when its up.