Friday, August 17, 2007

Claire's Doll House

Another project I'm marking down as finished. The inside has yet to be decorated or painted, but for all intents and purposes, this doll house is finished. It was quite a project, so it feels good to say that. I really wish I had a picture of the 'before' because it came completely unassembled in hundreds and hundreds of pieces down to the individual shingles for the roof and unassembled windows and porch railings.











Jim and Teresa bought it for Claire, and assembled the body of the house when they were visiting earlier this summer. After they left, I finished up the gluing (not a nail was used in the whole construction), stained the roof, and last night I finished painting the exterior. Even on a doll house a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference.


























I enjoyed picking out possible color combinations with Colorsmart at Behr.com. I think I had about five possibilities that I showed Claire, but once she saw there was a purple option she didn't consider anything else. And then last night as I did the final touch-ups, she sat back and said, "This is exactly what I wanted!"

4 comments:

jimhalberg said...

Wow, that is awesome! With the experienced you've gained you could probably become a contractor!

Did you have to wire the mini ceiling fans? :)

Sheila said...

Ha! You joke, but you actually CAN buy kits to wire these houses with electricity. Little tiny lamps that plug into little tiny outlets and everything (kind of moves a doll house into a 'look but don't touch' category to me). Not sure about ceiling fans, but I'm sure we could handle it!

Whitney said...

Your next project, then!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! The house looks awesome. Great work.